9502 Fourth Street NW, Albuquerque, NM 87114
Phone: (505) 898-5253 Fax: (505) 898-0496
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church
Below is a list of volunteer opportunities for you to consider
St. Felix Pantry - of Rio Rancho is in need of volunteers. They are open from Tuesday thru Saturday, with hours from 9:00am to noon. There are also limited opportunities to volunteer from 6 am – 9 am. St Felix Pantry is located at 4020 Barbara Loop SE in Rio Rancho. Duties: Volunteers work in several different areas, including sorting in the food and clothing areas, stocking shelves in the store and assisting clients with their needs. Standing and lifting are essential for these positions. St. Felix is a licensed nonprofit charitable organization sponsored by the Felician Sisters for the purpose of providing food and clothing as well as tutoring and referral services to those in need. For more information, please call (505) 891-8075.
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion -"When I was sick you visited me." If you are a Communion Minister in your parish and have one hour per week to spare, are able bodied, and have flexible hours, please consider the following opportunities. Training will be provided. Please join the already existing team of ministers who partner with the medical professionals in providing spiritual healing.
- Lovelace Downtown/Rehab Hospitals - Contact Deacon Fabian at (505) 727-2700.
- UNM Hospital - Contact Father Gene Boski at (505) 272-1796.
Running our Cemeteries - We are looking for volunteers to help us in the running of our cemeteries of Mt. Carmel and San Carlos. Presently a committee of several persons volunteers to oversee the running of our cemeteries. At times members drop out because of personal reasons. These members need to be replaced. The committee meets on the second Monday of each month at 6:30pm. If you are interested in helping with this important ministry, please contact Father Mendez at (505) 898-5253, Ext 7.
Jail and Prison Ministry - There are several options to consider for the prison ministry.
- Women Volunteers Needed for Women's Prison - A new women's prison has opened up in Albuquerque called "Camino Nuevo" and volunteers are needed for Saturday morning Communion Service. Also needed are members to serve as mentors for those leaving prison and wanting to live a clean and sober life style. The prison needs donations of yarn and plastic crochet hooks.
- Ministers and Teachers of the Bible Needed - Teach the bible to our brothers an sisters who are in jail or prison. Also, we need volunteers to help with juveniles by teaching religious classes, leading bible studies, conducting Communion Service or mentoring as part of a post-release program. If you can respond to Jesus' call "I was in prison and you visited me", please call (505) 831-8174.
- Thresholds Ministers - The Archdiocese of Santa Fe has a mentor program to assist men and women coming out of prison and wanting to make positive changes in their lives. Training is provided by the Archdiocese and the New Mexico Corrections Department. For more information, please call Sister Sue at (505) 270-2938.
Catholic Social Services - Volunteers are needed by Catholic Social Services to assist seniors, immigrants, etc. For more information, please call Joy at (505) 247-9521.
Catholic Charities - Are you interested in volunteering? Come share your talents and skills with the children of Catholic Charities. Catholic Charities, serving culturally and economically diverse children and families is in need of volunteer tutors for the Refugee Youth Program at their 1202 Pennsylvania NE location. Volunteers must be able to make a once a week commitment. Come be a part of a team that promotes academic success in Albuquerque's youth. Stop by our 1202 Pennsylvania NE location for a volunteer application or call Christina Rodriguez at (505) 724-4676.